Well it is Fun Food Friday, but if you live on the East Coast there is a good chance you are in the middle of rain, wind and water, or worried about rains, winds, flooding and damage. Hopefully you are safe.
We’ve been busy this week sweating over boiling water with our canning water, and watching the weather, so today it’s time to smile and lighten the load a bit if we can. Thinking about all those wonderful herbs that may be in your garden, or market, we move on to sustenance with Super Easy Rosemary Bread, and smiles with Thyme For Lemon Cupcakes. Both recipes are from our new wonderful friends at The Growers Exchange. Click here for link.
“Who knew you could use herbs for baking? Try our sweet treats –made using fresh herbs!
Super Easy Rosemary Bread
This easy to make bread requires just a few ingredients, fresh rosemary and a bread maker, allowing you to relax while it practically makes itself! This takes 3 hours and 10 minutes to make.
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 1/2 Tsp. Active Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbs. White Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Thyme, minced
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp. Fresh Rosemary, minced
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
Pour water and olive oil into pan of bread machine, and add flour and sugar. Form a barrier between the water and yeast with the flour and sugar, making sure the yeast doesn’t directly touch liquid immediately. Add thyme, garlic powder, rosemary and salt.
Set bread machine to light crust and start. (editors note, it you don’t have a bread machine, you can still make this you just use the same ingredients, knead, wait, knead wait/rise and bake! Check any basic bread recipe and follow the steps – easy.)
“Thyme” For Lemon Cupcakes
These delightful lemon cupcakes were inspired by our many varieties of Lemon Thyme. Adding lots of flavor without using lots of artificial flavorings, these little lemony treats will be a hit! Who knew using herbs in your desserts could taste so great!?
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/3 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Creme Fraiche
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 Oz. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Fresh ‘Lemon’ Thyme, minced
- 1 Tbs. Fresh Lemon Zest, minced
Preparation for Cupcakes:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line mini muffin pans with baking-cup liners.
2) Lightly spray the liners with nonstick cooking spray.
3) Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
4) Combine and whisk together in a separate bowl the eggs, creme fraiche, vanilla, lemon zest and thyme.
5) Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the butter is creamy. Stream in sugar and beat until fluffy and pale.
6) Reduce the mixer’s speed to low. Add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the wet ingredients in two additions.
7) Divide the batter evenly between the liners, filling them about two-thirds full.
8) Bake until the cupcakes are lightly browned and slightly cracked on top, 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack.
9) Top with vanilla butter cream frosting (see recipe for frosting below)
Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
- 4 Oz. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Vanilla Bean, scraped
- 3 to 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1) Place the butter and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the butter is creamy.
2) Add 2 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla, beat until smooth and creamy. (About 3-5 minutes)
3) Gradually add the remaining sugar, one 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.)
**Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.”
Thanks again to The Growers Exchange who, by the way have a great offer right now … Spend $75 and you are thanked with #FREE Ground Shipping on EVERYTHING until Labor Day! Ship everything for Fall #gardening, from #herbs to artwork, for FREE! app.e2ma.net/app2/campaigns… Make sure you use the coupon SAVE11 when checking out. (For you Tweeters out there their tweet name is @GrowHere, and YES, this notice was on Twitter!)